Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Deleting Amended State Return

I mistakenly started an amended return following notification that my federal & state returns were rejected (apparently the IRS didn't have my prior year AGI for some reason).   I very quickly realized that I didn't need to amend, but rather correct and resubmit my return.  I followed the instructions for removing the amended return from my submission.  The form 1040X was succesfully removed following which I changed the prior year's AGI to $0 and successfully resubmitted the federal return only, which was quickly accepted.  

I am now trying to do the same thing with the state return; however, the process fails to fully resolve the problem for some reason.  Following the instructions for removing the amended status for the state I successfully deleted the 1040X (or whatever the state form number is...I can't recall), but when I go to submit the state return I get prompted for an explanation for the amended return.  If I skip that (as there is obviously no ameded return), the only filing option I'm seeing is to print and mail the return...ok, but I've already paid to efile, and I doubt I'll get a refund.

Is there a way around this apparent dead end?

Thanks in advance for anyone with the fortitude to ready this stupidly long message!!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Deleting Amended State Return

Please check tax tools to ensure no additional forms were generated, which can be causing the error. If so, please follow the instructions here to delete them. 

Please let us know if we can further assist you. @Robert_Harry 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies