Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

b78772

deducting gambling losses in Colorado

I know gambling losses against winnings are entered on the Federal return.  On my federal I receive money back for taxes I already paid on the winnings.  The loss is then carried over to the Colorado return. 

But, Colorado is taxing me on my winnings without taking into account the losses.  Which means I do not receive any of the taxes taken our of the winnings for the state taxes.  In fact, I am taxed on the winnings and, therefore, I owe taxes on the winnings.  Even though my losses equaled my winnings.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

deducting gambling losses in Colorado

Likely you are seeing the results of CO "add backs".  CO starts with federal taxable income which means your itemized gambling losses (shown on line 16 on federal Schedule A) are already accounted for in your CO taxable income.  

However, since federal itemized deductions include CO state taxes paid, CO has an "add back" of those state taxes paid to CO taxable income. 

Further, if your income exceeds $300,000 your CO itemized/standard deduction is limited according your filing status (see below).  CO has an "add back" of deduction amounts that exceed the limits below.  

Single    $12,000 

Joint      $16,000

Here is the CO income tax instruction for reference.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies