Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Daughter’s can’t file her taxes herself

Hi,

I filed taxes claiming my daughter and then I amended and took her off my return.  This way, she can claim herself. Now it’s saying she can’t do her taxes because I claimed her. But I amended my return almost 2 weeks ago.

any thoughts on how she can get her taxes done?

your help is appreciated.

thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

She will have to file by paper. Even though you have amended your return, there is no way for her to e-file.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you Catina. I will let her know. It’s good it’s all done and will just need to be printed.

First of all, changing dependent status on a whim is not allowed.  If your daughter meets the qualifications to be claimed as a dependent, she must check the box that says "I can be claimed as a dependent" even if she does not want to be claimed, and even if you agree to not claim her.

Second, there is very little tax benefit for her to answering "no, I can't be claimed as a dependent" except for certain education credits, and possibly some health insurance related items.  It may change college financial aid calculations, but that is not a tax issue.  However, if your daughter can be claimed by you, and she answers that she can't be claimed, and receives a financial benefit, that could be considered tax fraud.  Please use caution. 

Finally, as stated, amending your return does not remove the block on her account, the IRS just doesn't update that fast.  She will still have to file by mail.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies