Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

DYS2
Level 2

CP11 - Responded in writing, but no response from IRS yet - do I pay to avoid penalties?

I received a CP11 on May 23 stating I owed $4475 in taxes on our 2021 return which I believe to be an error due to excess socials security tax payments.  I am married filing joint, husband is self employed, but I had two jobs and both companies took out a combined $13,329 in social security taxes which is an overage of $4475 since the max withholding for 2021 should be $8620.

Since I could not get through the phone lines, I sent a certified letter to the IRS disputing the error which was received by them on June 2.

My questions are:  Given the IRS is backlogged and may not respond for months, what should I do in the interim?   If they do not agree and still claim I owe the money, will penalties be incurred between now and the time they respond?  Is it better to pay them now so I don't incur additional penalties, but then if I do that and they agree with my dispute claim, will they refund me that money?  Or do I just sit and wait for their response?

Thank you in advance!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

CP11 - Responded in writing, but no response from IRS yet - do I pay to avoid penalties?

They will not refund any penalties you pay so if you know you are correct then you just need to wait it out.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies