Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Change filing status on state return?

I used Turbo Tax for state, selected print and mail, I reviewed my paperwork and it shows my filing status as head of household and it should be married filing separately. How do I change?
1 Reply
New Member

Change filing status on state return?

Just amend your return by filing Form 1040x .I don't know if you have credits to be filed. As you know filing status is relevant when including credits. For example, you can't include education credit if you filing separately while you can in filing jointly. Also if you have retirement contribution credit, it also reflects the amount on your filing status .A few years ago, I made a mistake on my SS number, I didn't amend it. i called IRS and informed them about it. And that's it. Hope it helps.

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies