turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Cashapp Refund

Hey, my Tax refund got accepted which was good, I used cashapp as my payment method, not my cashapp but my sister’s. So she changed the name to mine while the address is still intact. Is it still possible that IRS will deposit the money into the cashapp?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Cashapp Refund

The IRS will send the deposit to the routing number and account number that you entered. The IRS does not check the name on the account, but the bank that receives the deposit might check the name.

Cash App is not a bank. This is very clearly stated on the Cash App web site. The Cash App banking services are provided by a third-party bank that Cash App partners with. It's up to the bank whether or not to accept the deposit that the IRS sends. As Critter-3 said, if the bank rejects the deposit the IRS will mail a check to the address you entered on your tax return.

At this point there is nothing you can do but wait and see what happens. It doesn't matter what you or Critter-3 or anyone else thinks.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Cashapp Refund

The IRS will send the money to the bank account you listed  HOWEVER  the bank will probably refuse the deposit since your name is not on the account.  If that happens then the IRS will convert it to a check mailed to the address on the return ... this process could take as much as a couple of months.  

Check with CASHAPP  and watch the IRS site to see when the refund is released :  https://www.irs.gov/refunds

Cashapp Refund

@Critter-3 

i believe it might work since the display name is already changed to be my name.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Cashapp Refund

The IRS will send the deposit to the routing number and account number that you entered. The IRS does not check the name on the account, but the bank that receives the deposit might check the name.

Cash App is not a bank. This is very clearly stated on the Cash App web site. The Cash App banking services are provided by a third-party bank that Cash App partners with. It's up to the bank whether or not to accept the deposit that the IRS sends. As Critter-3 said, if the bank rejects the deposit the IRS will mail a check to the address you entered on your tax return.

At this point there is nothing you can do but wait and see what happens. It doesn't matter what you or Critter-3 or anyone else thinks.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies