Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Cannot add itemized Medical Expenses

The State of California form says that even if I chose the "Standard deduction" on my Federal form, I can still itemize deductions for medical expenses. I've looked through the forum to see how to do this and it seems that the answer was to unselect the "standard deduction" option and go in to "Medical Expenses" and add my itemized list. However, when I return to the Medical Expenses Deduction portion all I get is a questionaire about High Deductible Plans and then told what my expenses are without being able to enter any. What am I doing wrong?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC
Expert Alumni

Go to Forms Mode and scroll to the Info Wks page and select it.    Scroll down to Part VI.   Under Standard Deduction/Itemized Deductions, put an X in the first box.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

9 Replies

In the federal section of the program itemize all of your expenses as though you were going to itemize for federal. TurboTax will then choose your standard deduction for federal if better for you and will choose the itemized deduction for your state return if better. 

I think my situation is a little more complicated than that. I've done what you and others on the forum have said, I have selected "Itemize Deductions" and went back to the deduction screen. Pressed "Visit All" here is what happens:

Screen 1: Do you have medical expenses in 2022? I select "Yes"

Screen 2:  Tell us about the Health Related Accounts you had in 2023? I did not have an HSA or MSA, I had actual isurance that I bought at a State Marketplace. I select "None of the above" and "Continue"

Screen 3: What type of High Deductible Plan did you have on December 1st 2022? I didn't have a "High Deductible Plan" my deductibles are fairly low. I'm given the choice of "Family", "Self" or "None". I select "None"

Screen 4: This Year you get a tax break for your medical expenses. It gives me an amount and that is all. No opportunity to insert medical expenses. Click "Done"

Screen 5: This is what we have for your 1095-As: Lists the info I entered from my 1095-As. Click "Continue"

Screen 6: Looks like you have to pay back some of your health insurance discount. Shows amounts, click "Continue"

Screen 7: Back to Deductions main page

I'm assuming because I have to pay back that I'm not allowed to add any more expenses? Is that what's happening?

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Screen 1: Do you have medical expenses in 2022? I select "Yes"

OK.

Screen 2:  Tell us about the Health Related Accounts you had in 2023? I did not have an HSA or MSA, I had actual isurance that I bought at a State Marketplace. I select "None of the above" and "Continue"

OK.

Screen 3: What type of High Deductible Plan did you have on December 1st 2022? I didn't have a "High Deductible Plan" my deductibles are fairly low. I'm given the choice of "Family", "Self" or "None". I select "None"

OK.

Screen 4: This Year you get a tax break for your medical expenses. It gives me an amount and that is all. No opportunity to insert medical expenses. Click "Done"

What does the amount sound like? The sum of medical expenses you entered into Schedule A? The amount entered into Schedule A plus HSA distributions?

Screen 5: This is what we have for your 1095-As: Lists the info I entered from my 1095-As. Click "Continue"

OK.

Screen 6: Looks like you have to pay back some of your health insurance discount. Shows amounts, click "Continue"

I am assuming that this is referring to the Premium Tax Credit (form 8962). This generally happens that you owe if your annual family income was larger than you had estimated to the Marketplace people at the beginning of the year when you signed up for the marketplace insurance.

Screen 7: Back to Deductions main page

If you go back through the PTC (Premium Tax Credit page, then this is OK).

I'm assuming because I have to pay back that I'm not allowed to add any more expenses? Is that what's happening?

No, the PTC is not dependent on how much you paid in medical expenses, but in how much PTC the government paid on your behalf during the year, which is dependent on how much you earned during the year compared to what you estimated at the beginning of the year.

Deductions & Credits>choose what to work on >Medical>Medical Expenses 

"Screen 4: This Year you get a tax break for your medical expenses. It gives me an amount and that is all. No opportunity to insert medical expenses. Click "Done"

What does the amount sound like? The sum of medical expenses you entered into Schedule A? The amount entered into Schedule A plus HSA distributions?"

I have no idea what the amount is for. I don't recall giving any medical expenses at any point. I've just been answering the questions as they come along in the process. It looks a lot like the difference I need to pay back to the market place.

The system that my State uses to give our Health Insurance discount, is by using the previous year's tax return. So if you end up making more money (which we did) then you have to pay back based on what you SHOULD have received. Real tricky to have to estimate every year, but it is what it is.

The only Medical information I ever entered through this whole process was the 1095-A info. So I'm not seeing how it's coming up with any expenses at all. It sounds like I should do a search for "Schedule A" and see what comes out of that?

Thanks again, by the way.

This Year you get a tax break for your medical expenses. It gives me an amount and that is all. No opportunity to insert medical expenses.

That's what happens when I do that.

I think I resolved the issue. If I have less than 6.000ish of Medical expenses it gives me some sort of "standard" amount based on the info from my 1095-A....at least that's the best I could figure it out. I also took the program off "Kid Mode" and entered the numbers in to the form directly and there was no change. Fair enough. I know I tried. Thanks all!

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Go to Forms Mode and scroll to the Info Wks page and select it.    Scroll down to Part VI.   Under Standard Deduction/Itemized Deductions, put an X in the first box.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies