turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ZYSanshou

Can you roll back a failed amendment that failed to file correctly?

So I found out I did a backdoor Roth conversion wrong in my original returns. I started the amendment process but it failed after the direct deposit steps to allow me to proceed to step 3. I check with someone and they said it was a known bug.

That amendment still reflects in my current Turbotax status. In other words the effective tax dollars from the original return does not match what is in Turbo Tax but reflects the non taxable amount from the amendment that failed because of the software issue.

I checked and there is a 1040-x filed on the account. If I delete it, it just comes back. I cannot get back to the original state without the 1040-x and with the original taxable amount I need to amend so I can actually file it. Even working with a tax expert live, they could not figure out how to do it so I am out quite a bit of money.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

You can undo the amendment process  however this will only remove the 1040X form you still have to undo the changes you made to get the return back to the originally filed figures. 

How do I cancel or undo an amended return in TurboTax Online?

If you started amending your tax return by accident and would like to cancel the amendment:

1. Open your return if it’s not already open.
  2. In the left menu select Cancel amend.
  3. Select Yes, I want to cancel my amended return.

How do I cancel or undo an amended return in the TurboTax CD/Download software?

If you started amending your federal return by accident and would like to cancel the amendment, follow this process to correctly "unamend" your federal return:

1. Open your return.
  2. Switch to Forms Mode (Windows instructions | Mac instructions).
  3. In the left pane, select Form 1040X.
    • Windows: After the form is generated in the right pane, click the Delete Form button at the bottom of the window.
    • Mac: From the Forms menu, select Remove Form 1040X.
  4. Follow the on-screen instructions to remove the 1040X from your return

1. Important: Go back through the TurboTax interview and undo any changes you made after you selected the option to amend your  return, as merely deleting the 1040X will not undo those manual entries for you.

State Amendments

The best way to "unamend" your state return is to go through your state return from the beginning and keep your eyes peeled for amend-related screens or questions.

The amend question usually appears right at the beginning or towards the end of the state interview (never in the middle).

Correct any entries that have to do with an amended return, e.g.:

• Answer No when asked if you want to amend;
  • Clear any amend-related checkboxes;
  • Delete entries in the tax year field.
  • Note: In a few state programs, you actually have to answer Yes to the amend question so you can revisit the screens that contain the information you want to delete.

If you still can't get rid of your state amendment form, try clearing your state return and starting over.

ZYSanshou

Thanks but that does not help.

The original return was cancelled and it still shows the 1040-X. Deleting the 1040-X does nothing as either the delete doesn't work or it just adds it back in after deleting the form.

Basically I cannot get it back to the original forms filed because I cannot get rid of the new forms on the web site. I don't know what the software does in the back ground to know which changes to undo. I don't know if using the desktop version would work if I downloaded the web site version and imported it. I don't even know what state the download is.

If I download the PDF of the current state it shows the non amended forms. If the live tax advisor downloads the tax package it shows the new amended amount and so they they see the conversion amount of taxable dollars. I still see the unamended taxable values in the forms.

This is so broken and I doubt I will use Turbo Tax ever again if it is going to cost me several thousand dollars.

Thanks for the information and the attempted help,

Brian

ZYSanshou

I just literally download the tax package from the amendment at it adjust the 1040 to have line 9 be lower by the Roth backdoor conversion and the 1040-X has no refund. But the download from the package that was originally filed has line 9 with the higher amount exactly by the backdoor Roth conversion and a higher taxes paid value.

So both the 1040 and the 1040-X are now wrong in the new amendment package and if I delete the 1040-X it does nothing. I need it back to the original line 9 form 1040 to do the amendment again. Even filing this amendment would not correct the value because it appears as if I already did an amendment. 

Not only do you have to remove the 1040X  you ALSO must undo any changes you may have made until the return is back to how you filed it.   Only then should you start the amendment process. 

Look at the form 1040X …

Column A should have the figures from the original return (OR as changed by the IRS) , Column C the corrected figures and Column B the differences between the other 2 which needs an explanation on page 2 of the form 1040X.

If you completed it correctly you will see an entry on either line 16 OR 18:

On line 16 should be the amount you paid with your original return. If you paid nothing already then this line should be zero.

On line 18 should be the amount of your original refund you received.  If you have not received your refund yet then you need to wait for it.  If the refund changes from what you expected then this line must reflect that change.

Then you will see your extra refund on line 22 OR  the new balance due you need to pay on line 20.

ZYSanshou

So I solved this eventually by myself but with some hints from others. So there were a couple things that I had to do so I will list them here.

• Started to amend last years taxes
  • Selected Tax Tools which brings up a screen
  • Selected "Delete Forms"
    • Deleted 1040-X
    • Deleted IRA worksheets (there were two of them but I don't remember there names)
    • Deleted 8060 for non tracked non deductible contributions. At my income level all contributions are taxed
  • Continued to amend the taxes
  • Went in to the 1099 section and did the Roth conversion correctly (converted 100%)
  • The tricky part is I had to go in to the IRA contributions and add the amount I contributed to my traditional IRA which triggered the state that I did not qualify for deduction at my income level
  • Finally my new amendment was showing what was expected and I was able to e-file

Thanks for all the advice.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies