AGrayson84

Can you amend your return after filing, before return is accepted?

Hi everyone, I thought I received all my tax-related forms and jumped the gun by filing my return several days ago. I just received another form and I read that amending your return is possible, but nowhere in my online filing do I see an option to amend the return. Do I have to wait for the return to be accepted first? I used the web-based method to file my taxes this year... not the software version. Thanks so much!

Once a tax return has been filed it cannot be changed, canceled or retrieved

You will have to wait for the IRS to start accepting or rejecting 2020 tax returns on February 12, 2021
If the return is rejected you can make the necessary changes and e-file again.
If the return is accepted you will have to amend your original tax return. An amended return, Form 1040X, can only be printed and mailed to the IRS if the original return was not e-filed. The IRS will take up to 16 weeks or longer to process an amended tax return.

Before starting to amend the tax return, wait for the tax refund to be received or the taxes due to be paid and processed by the IRS.

See this TurboTax support FAQ on amending a tax return originally completed and filed using the 2020 TurboTax online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-turbotax-online-return/01/27577

AGrayson84

Thanks so much!!! And I appreciate the tip to wait till after the refund is received. Huuuuuge help, thanks again!