Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can my daughter refile with turbo tax if she was denied on her original? I accidentally claimed her and have amended my return but it keeps saying she can’t file on TT.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Can my daughter refile with turbo tax if she was denied on her original? I accidentally claimed her and have amended my return but it keeps saying she can’t file on TT.

If you used your daughter's SSN on a tax return, she will not be able to e-file this year even if you have amended.  The only way she can file now is by mail, because it will be many months before the system is corrected.  Waiting for your amended return will not help her.  She has to print, sign and date her return in ink, and mail it.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

No. if a taxpayer's SSN is used on another return, that person can no longer e-file. The question for her is whether or not she CAN be claimed as a dependent even if she is not.  There is no requirement to claim a dependent even if you are legally entitled to do so. However, that persom must indicate on their return that they can be claimed.

here are the dependent rules

you can claim her as a qualifying child if all these tests are met
• she has the same principal abode as you for more than ½ the tax year. Temporary absences like for school are ignored
• if she is not a full-time student, she’s under 19 at the end of the tax year. If a full-time student, she’s under 24 at the end of the tax year.
• she hasn't provided over ½ her own support
• she didn't file a joint return unless there was no tax liability but merely filing jointly to facilitate refund of taxes withheld or estimates paid

or you can claim her as a qualifying relative if all these tests are met
• her gross income for 2023 less than $4,750
• you provided over ½ her support
• she isn't a qualifying child of another taxpayer

support

• Includes amounts spent for food, lodging, clothing, education, medical and dental expenses, recreation, transportation and other necessities

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Please note that it's the IRS that is preventing your daughter from e-filing, not TurboTax. She will not be able to e-file anywhere. She can use TurboTax, but she has to print her tax return and file by mail. The same will be true with any other tax software.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies