turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

b-sartori

Can I work a 2 year temporary job in another state and maintain my resident status in my original state?

I plan to come back to my home state for grad school and need to maintain my tuition status

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I work a 2 year temporary job in another state and maintain my resident status in my original state?

Yes, it is possible to do this.

Make sure you check the state residency requirements you want to be part of.  You would most likely need to maintain driver's license, an address there, be able to vote there.

You would file a non-resident return for the state you are working and then file a resident return for the state you are a resident of and would get a credit for taxes paid to another state.

The whole key to this is:  1) job is temporary and 2) you compile with residency requirements for the State (as these rules vary by state). 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes, it is possible to do this.

Make sure you check the state residency requirements you want to be part of.  You would most likely need to maintain driver's license, an address there, be able to vote there.

You would file a non-resident return for the state you are working and then file a resident return for the state you are a resident of and would get a credit for taxes paid to another state.

The whole key to this is:  1) job is temporary and 2) you compile with residency requirements for the State (as these rules vary by state). 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies