b-sartori

Can I work a 2 year temporary job in another state and maintain my resident status in my original state?

I plan to come back to my home state for grad school and need to maintain my tuition status

MichaelL1

Yes, it is possible to do this.

Make sure you check the state residency requirements you want to be part of.  You would most likely need to maintain driver's license, an address there, be able to vote there.

You would file a non-resident return for the state you are working and then file a resident return for the state you are a resident of and would get a credit for taxes paid to another state.

The whole key to this is:  1) job is temporary and 2) you compile with residency requirements for the State (as these rules vary by state). 

MichaelL1

Yes, it is possible to do this.