Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I review the entries made in the previous tax year that determined the tax liability for that year? They are not show on the return itself.

I was hoping to review the pension and annuity section for various entries made to determine the total for that section and tax liability
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I review the entries made in the previous tax year that determined the tax liability for that year? They are not show on the return itself.

IF you used the "Online" software,  you could log into your account and redownload your 2022 tax file as a PDF.  At this point in time the 2022 PDF will be the full/huge PDF with all the worksheets.  You'd then be able to see the 1099-R worksheets that showed your entries. 

If taxes were withheld for your 1099-R distributions, that is NOT your tax liability for them...that is just a general pre-payment of taxes so you don't end up owing huge amounts at tax time....just like withholding done for W-2 wages.

BUT, your tax liability isn't shown, nor is it ever calculated as individual amounts.    Your tax liability is only calculated based on the entirety of all your income and all your deductions. 

Thus there is only one tax liability, and that is shown on line 16 of your 2022 form 1040 (or line 18 if you had some special taxes added in from Line 3 on Schedule 2).   

Then, after various credits are applied, including any previously withheld taxes, you end up with either a Refund or a balance due on lines 35a or 38 of the form 1040

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

@Ftgarland 

For the Current tax year (2023), the default PDF file is just the bare tax return.  When 2023 gets archived as a "prior" year in ~Nov 2024, they only store the whole monstrous thing at that time, and that is the only thing that downloads as a PDF at any time after that archiving.

During the current 2023 preparation time (until mid October), the one that you download from the main screen, after-filing, is just the bare filing tax return sheets...only what the IRS or State requires as-if you were paper-filing.

Right now, for 2023 you could have downloaded the giant PDF before you filed, as one of several Print Center choices. 

BUT

After you've already filed 2023, you can still get the giant PDF, by first getting inside your 2023 tax file, and then going to the left-side panel and select Print Center, and choose the file with all the worksheets from the options presented.   You get back into your 2023 tax file by displaying 2023 status, and bottom of the window that shows all your 2023 Fed/State statuses, there is a selection to "Add a State" (you won't have to do that...it just gets you inside your 2023 file)   Then the Print Center shows up on the left side and you click on it and proceed from there.

Here's an old example I prepared from when 2018 taxes were being prepared.  Note that "Add A State" only exists for whatever the current preparation year is.... not for 2022 or earlier anymore:

PostFile_1a.png

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

4 Replies

IF you used the "Online" software,  you could log into your account and redownload your 2022 tax file as a PDF.  At this point in time the 2022 PDF will be the full/huge PDF with all the worksheets.  You'd then be able to see the 1099-R worksheets that showed your entries. 

If taxes were withheld for your 1099-R distributions, that is NOT your tax liability for them...that is just a general pre-payment of taxes so you don't end up owing huge amounts at tax time....just like withholding done for W-2 wages.

BUT, your tax liability isn't shown, nor is it ever calculated as individual amounts.    Your tax liability is only calculated based on the entirety of all your income and all your deductions. 

Thus there is only one tax liability, and that is shown on line 16 of your 2022 form 1040 (or line 18 if you had some special taxes added in from Line 3 on Schedule 2).   

Then, after various credits are applied, including any previously withheld taxes, you end up with either a Refund or a balance due on lines 35a or 38 of the form 1040

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I did as you suggested, but for the 2023 tax year,  those work sheets and forms aren't showing up, all I get is sch B.

I went back to 2022 since you mentioned that specifically and found the form "8606" and not a Sch B. There should be both for both years.   However, I can't find the form for Nondeductible IRAs (8606) for 2023. Does this download get updated at some later point for my 2023 return as well so I will be able to see extra forms and worksheets?  My taxable retirement income total look right, I was just wanting to make sure everything was included.

I'm not getting the large file with work sheets as you mentioned for either year. Just the extra numbered forms.  Yes, used the online pay version.

@Ftgarland 

For the Current tax year (2023), the default PDF file is just the bare tax return.  When 2023 gets archived as a "prior" year in ~Nov 2024, they only store the whole monstrous thing at that time, and that is the only thing that downloads as a PDF at any time after that archiving.

During the current 2023 preparation time (until mid October), the one that you download from the main screen, after-filing, is just the bare filing tax return sheets...only what the IRS or State requires as-if you were paper-filing.

Right now, for 2023 you could have downloaded the giant PDF before you filed, as one of several Print Center choices. 

BUT

After you've already filed 2023, you can still get the giant PDF, by first getting inside your 2023 tax file, and then going to the left-side panel and select Print Center, and choose the file with all the worksheets from the options presented.   You get back into your 2023 tax file by displaying 2023 status, and bottom of the window that shows all your 2023 Fed/State statuses, there is a selection to "Add a State" (you won't have to do that...it just gets you inside your 2023 file)   Then the Print Center shows up on the left side and you click on it and proceed from there.

Here's an old example I prepared from when 2018 taxes were being prepared.  Note that "Add A State" only exists for whatever the current preparation year is.... not for 2022 or earlier anymore:

PostFile_1a.png

Steve, this worked out great for me. I was able to confirm I filled out all the information in my return, eliminating any doubt.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies