Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lsh2114
Returning Member

Can I report all of 1099-INT income from joint account on my individual tax return?

My partner and I are not married and we file separately. We have a joint checking account and received a 1099-INT with both of our names and only my SSN. Can I report the full amount of interest income on my tax return? 

If we go this route, do I report it exactly as I would report 1099 interest income from a bank account where I am the sole account holder? (that is, I do not have to do anything with nominee interest) And as far as my partner's tax return is concerned, this 1099 does not exist? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Can I report all of 1099-INT income from joint account on my individual tax return?

Yes you can report it all.  

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Correct.  You can report it all and your partner not report any of it.   As long as it all gets reported on one of your returns, you should not have an issue.    And yes, enter it like you would any other 1099-INT that you were the sole owner of.   Your name is on the form, so no nominee reporting is necessary.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies