Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

icnhndlu

Can I remove previous years Turbo tax apps to make room on my computer without locing my info?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Can I remove previous years Turbo tax apps to make room on my computer without locing my info?

Yes.  Your return is not stored in the program but in separate data files ending in .tax2023, etc. and PDF files.  So before you delete anything make sure you have saved your returns as pdf files.  You only need the tax data file ending in .tax2023 to transfer into next year.  And also copy the .tax and pdf files to a usb drive or somewhere off your computer for a backup.  

For Windows……What I would do is just copy the whole Turbo Tax folder that is under your Documents.  That should be where the .tax files and pdf files are stored.  Copy that folder to a flash drive or best yet is to burn it to a CD or DVD and then you will have a backup of them.  

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Yes, you can remove (uninstall) the old programs. But even though you still have the .tax20yy data files, you cannot open them without the program for the corresponding year. So make sure you save a PDF of every tax return before you remove the programs. When you create the PDF select "Tax Return, all calculation worksheets."

You will be able to transfer information from the .tax2023 file into your 2024 tax return, even if you have removed the 2023 program. You cannot transfer information from a PDF.

Your tax data is contained in separate files (one for each return).  You can delete the program without deleting the data files.

However, the data file can't be opened without the program, and programs older than 3 years generally can't be re-installed after being deleted, because they need online resources that are not provided after 3 years.

So before you delete the programs, make sure to open every tax return created with that program and save it as a PDF -- you want to save one PDF file with just the tax returns, and one PDF file with "All forms and worksheets" so you will have everything you might need in the future.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies