kkhyder

Can I print my Federal and State returns DOUBLE SIDED to save paper? I have to submit by mail.

maglib

3.3.8 http://www.irs.gov/irb/2009-07_IRB/ar06.html#d0e8093
Printing on One 
Side of Paper

While it is preferred that both sides of the paper be used for substitutes and reproduced forms, resulting in the same page arrangement as that of the official form or schedule, the IRS will accept your forms if only one side of the paper is used. 

Just note that each form within the return can be double sided but you can't print different forms sharing the same page. So for instance you have a 1040 and a schedule D, the 1040 can be double sided and the D can be double sided but they can not share a page. you would have to print each required form separately to do this.  

For you to save paper TT is NOT set up to print each form separately if you use 2-sided mode (don't shoot the messenger, I don't work for them).  So you would have to print each form stand alone...  

I print my return for saving double sided but it's only for my safekeeping.  I do not suggest sending the IRS any double sided forms by mail as they use key punchers who get so much that they may miss it.

Was I helpful?

maglib

Printing on One 
Side of Paper

Was I helpful?

tsankary

When Turbo Tax prints the returns for filing by mail, does it properly print 2-sided? i.e. or does Turbo Tax make the mistake of printing different forms sharing the same page?

Try printing each Schedule separately.  However, I personally don't recommend printing double-sided when filing by mail, as the IRS clerk who keys in the return may miss the back side.

Also be aware that you do not mail all the worksheets; just the tax return and related Schedules.
maglib

the IRS will accept your forms if each individual form is double sided but not if whole return is double sided... I do  use double sided for the version I save for my records but never for the IRS if I mail it.