Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Can I not e-file an amended return?

I got an amended W2C form from my employer with a lower annual salary for 2016.
1 Reply
Level 9

Can I not e-file an amended return?

Amended returns have to be printed and mailed. They can't be e-filed per IRS regulation. It is recommended to wait until the IRS has accepted your initial return and you have received your federal refund before you amend the return. And the filing instructions page that prints with the return will tell you what needs to be included. If you have done the amend steps and you need to get back in and print the return, the steps to do so can be found below. 

If you have not done the correct amend steps, the instructions can be found here

Detailed Instructions for TurboTax Online:

  1. Log in to your account.
  2. Click on Amend (change) return.
  3. Click on the Amend using TurboTax Online button.
  4. Select the My Account drop down in the upper right and choose Print Center.
  5. Under the Choose your option: section, select which forms you want to print.
  6. Click Print save or preview this year’s return.
  7. Click View or Print.
  8. Mail to the address specified in your return.
NOTE: If you are using Desktop version, go here for steps

And you can find a list of frequently asked questions, about amended returns, here Form 1040X, Amended U.S. individual Income Tax Return, Frequently Asked Questions

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies