Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

daves1227

Can I go back to finish up my state tax return

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Did you already file the Federal?  If so, was it efiled and accepted?  And you have not yet filed the State return?

In any case, if TurboTax thinks you were finished, we can tell you how to open your return back up to finish and file the state return.  You can only efile the state return if efiling at the same time as the Federal, OR you can efile it after the Federal has been efiled and accepted.

Here's a way to open the state return back up.   NOTE:  If you already filed the Federal return, then don't make any changes to the Federal return.

• Log in and go to the section "Your Tax Returns & Documents."  Click on that line or the word SHOW to expand that section.
  • Choose 2017.
  • Choose "Add a state."  (you're not really adding one; that's just to get the return to open up.)
  • Once the return is open, you can go to the State Taxes tab to complete the state return.  Carefully review it before filing since some of the forms may have updated.  Continue in that section until it says "Done with State" (or similar words.)
  • Also step through the REVIEW tab to run the error check and be sure all is in order.
  • Then go to the FILE section to select a filing method, and choose to file only the State return.
  • If efiling, make sure you go all the way to the end and click on "Transmit My Returns Now."
  • If filing by mail, you will need to print, sign, and mail the return yourself.  TurboTax does not mail it for you.
NOTE:  Do NOT use this method to open a return to make changes/edits to an already-filed return (one that has actually been mailed or efiled.)   If you later need to make changes to an already-filed return, you have to go through the formal amending process, and your return must start off exactly as originally filed.

KingOak1

No turbotax keep telling me to update but the computer comes back and states that i am updated and it wont let me efile my return

@KingOak1 wrote:

No turbotax keep telling me to update but the computer comes back and states that i am updated and it wont let me efile my return

You're posting in an old thread which was about a 2017 Online return that transferred into this new forum last June.   And your issue is not the same.   I suspect you are using 2019 desktop product (CD/download).

Are you using the Windows or Mac version?   

If Mac, see this new FAQ:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/bugs-and-error-messages/help/turbotax-needs-to-check-for-updates-l...

If Windows, see this FAQ.  Are you in NY or MA by chance?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/there-is-an-update-available-for-your-version-of-t...

If using Windows version and not in one of those 2 states, I have seen a couple of users say they resolved it by uninstalling TurboTax and reinstalling it.   If you're considering do that, see if a REPAIR works first which would save some steps.

FAQ:  How to repair TurboTax in Windows
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/bugs-and-error-messages/help/how-to-repair-turbotax-in-microsoft-w...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies