turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

New Member

Can i file the injured spouse with my amended return or do i need to file them seperate?

We already filed our taxes. A debt was taken from our refund. I intend to file injured spouse. We recently recieved a.forgotten w2 so we now need to amend our taxes as well. Can i file those together and still get refunded from the origional return or do i need to file the injured spouse first?
This feature is pending. Thanks for your patience.
Didn't get the answer you wanted? Talk to a live expert to get the help you need.
1 Reply
Expert Alumni

Can i file the injured spouse with my amended return or do i need to file them seperate?

The IRS allows you to choose and file Injured Spouse with the amendment or by itself, after you have already filed. 

Since you have to amend your tax return to add W2, you may file Injured Spouse with the amendment.  Yes, you may be able to get refunded your portion of the original refund when you file Injured Spouse, but not before.  Plase note that it may take 14 weeks for the Injured Spouse claim to be processed.

Please refer to the link below for amending instructions:


message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies