Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I file amended return with CP2000?

I receive a cp2000 for $1480 taxes owed in 2014 when I was an IT consultant. I didn’t report that because I didn’t receive the 1099misc form. Now can I still file amended return with this cp2000 to include some business expenses like computer, home office, and millages? I rent an apartment at that time, can I report the monthly rental as expense? I have the receipt for my computer that I purchased in May 2013. I can get the payment I made for the apartment from my bank. I don’t have receipts for millages.
If I file an amend, will it cause another audit? I didn’t have any 1099misc income in 2015. Thank you so much.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
NicoleR

Yes, your response to a CP2000 letter can include an amended return to correct the mistake and claim any missing income and associated deductions.

For additional assistance on how to respond to the IRS letter please see our Audit Support Site.

Kwhitby

Should you still sign it and return it or just amend thr return?

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Yes, you should send any response with corrections and disagreements, but do not sign the actual CP2000 agreement part.  If your tax return is under Automatic Underreporter status (CP2000) you can submit an amended return in response to the CP2000.  You should sign the amendment if there are changes to the original return. 

@Kwhitby

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
owles

I did not include all my W2's. I have already sent in Federal and State Tax Returns electronically. What should I do?

@owles wrote:

I did not include all my W2's. I have already sent in Federal and State Tax Returns electronically. What should I do?

You will have to amend the 2019 tax return that you filed to add the W-2's.

An amended tax return, Form 1040X, can only be printed, signed, dated and mailed by you to the IRS, it cannot be e-filed. The IRS will take up to 4 months to process the amended tax return. Wait until you have received the tax refund or the taxes owed have been paid and processed by the IRS before amending the tax return.

On the Tax Home web page when the Form 1040X for amending a 2019 tax return becomes available there will be a link - Amend (change) return

Form 1040X is estimated to be available on 02/27/2020

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies