turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MYTTAX96786
Returning Member

can I efile a second 1040x for 2020

I need to do a second amended return for 2020. Can I efile a second amended return with Turbo Tax Deluxe?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

No, you cannot e-file a second Form 1040X.   And just hold on.   Why are you amending a second time?    and why now?   You should not amend a tax return until your original tax return has been fully processed.    So when you amended for the first time---had your original return been processed completely?

It takes the IRS at least six months to process an amended return, so if you have a good reason to amend again you need to wait until the original return AND your first amended return have been fully processed before you try to put another amended return into the system.   You have three years from the filing deadline to amend, so you have plenty of time to amend if you really need to.   Do not confuse things now by trying to put another return into the system or it can cause confusion and delays that will seem neverending.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
MYTTAX96786
Returning Member

1. yes...original return was processed by IRS. According to IRS amending a return is not limited to just once during any tax year. My question was...can a second amended return be efiled using TurboTax not, can I submit a second amended return. And yes, there is valid reason for amending a second time in the same tax year And yes I know that the each return has to be fully processed before submitting any additional return.

I think you can only efile 1 amended return.  The second one you have to print and mail.  Has your first amended return been fully processed yet?  It is taking longer than the usual 4 months to process amended returns.  So make sure you wait to amend a 2nd time.  

once the first amended return is fully processed you can always try to e-file a second one. don't know if there would be Turbotax fees  

The second amended return MUST be mailed in and there is no fees to amend UNLESS you have to upgrade the program to handle the changes.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies