Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I e-file my amended Federal tax return for 2023?

I'm amending my 2023 Federal return to fix erroneous cost basis originally reported on the 1040 that I filed. I'm using TurboTax desktop, and it's asking me to print and mail my amended returns (except for CA) even though I e-filed originally. 

When I go to the E-filing page, it gives me the option to e-file my federal amended return now. Can I really e-file my federal amended return or it that a mistake?

Also, if I'm going to mail my 1040-x, it says that we need to sign it. Do I also need to sign the new 1040 that was printed along with the 1040x?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, if your original 2023 return was e-filed within TurboTax, you should be able to e-file the amended return as well.  Please see this link for more information.

As for potentially mailing the Form 1040X and updated 1040, you only need to sign Form 1040X as this form replaces your originally filed Form 1040.  Please see the instructions here as well as the excerpt below to help you determine if you need to attach any other documents to your amended return if you need to mail it in.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for the info. So I can ignore TurboTax’s print out instructions to mail in the 1040-x? If I e-file my amended return and IRS rejects it, can I still mail in the return afterwards? Also, if asked, what kind of supporting documentation do I need to include? I was going submit the E*trade transactions supplement showing the adjusted cost basis for my RSUs. Is that sufficient?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

As long as the amended return is successfully e-filed and accepted, you would not need to mail the amended return in.  If you try to e-file and your amended return does not get accepted, then yes, you can mail the return as the IRS would have not received the amended return.  

As far as attachments, include any supporting statements that reinforce the numbers that changed from your original tax return.  In this situation, if the cost basis was originally reported incorrectly, you can include the statements showing the correct cost basis.  Also, make sure to list in the description the reason for the amended return.

Please see Instructions for Form 1040-X if you need addresses for where to mail your amended return.  You will find the addresses on page 11.  Please see the excerpt below for guidance on how to assemble your amended return if you end up mailing it in.

Thanks for the info! I was able to e-file my amended return and both IRS and State accepted the return. However, after e-filing, TurboTax showed a Print Required Forms button, and it said that the form is required by the government to complete my amended return. When clicked the button, it generated a 1040-V payment voucher even though I am due a refund! The amount on the 1040-V equals the difference of the overpayment I made in April minus the refund I’m due from the amended tax return. Since I already paid this amount as part of my overpayment, can I ignore this voucher? Or am I still obligated to mail this voucher with the payment?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

You can ignore the voucher if you are due a refund on your amended return.   You would only need to mail the voucher with a payment if your amended return shows a payment due on line 20 of your 1040X form.

The amended return is only for the difference you get back or owe.  I think the cover sheet shows what the original return WOULD have been if you did it right the first time.

Go by the actual 1040X.  Line 18 should be your original refund amount and line 22 should be your additional refund.  If you paid on your original return it will be on line 16.  If there is an amount owed with the amendment, it will be on line 20.

Ignore the 1040V.  That is for the original return or what the original return would have been if it didn’t need correcting.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies