Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rgriscom

Can I change my filing status if Fed hasn't been accepted? .

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Has it been filed, but not yet Accepted or Rejected?
rgriscom

Haven’t gotten email from fed.  If I change my filing will I pay twice?  Already set up to pay Monday.

You will have to wait until its accepted or rejected before proceeding (I incorrectly assumed that you were rejected when you said hasn't been accepted).  If its rejected, then you can make the changes.  But, if its accepted, then you will have to amend to make any changes.
rgriscom

Trying to amend to file married separately with me claiming deductions as wife taking standard deduction.  Is this possible?  Software won’t allow me to do this.

Thanks,
Robert

No, when MFS you both have to choose the same deduction type.  So, you both can take the standard deduction or you both can itemize - you can't split one and one.
rgriscom

How can I know my filing went through?  I haven’t received an email and time is running out.

Check here .... you should get email notifications but they can get caught in Spam filters

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/">https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/ef...>

Yes, as long as your return wasn't accepted by the IRS then its the same as having never filed.  You can go back to the My Info section to reevaluate your filing status.

Note:  This only applies when your return has been officially rejected by the IRS.  You will have to wait for the acceptance or rejection notification from the IRS.

[Edited:  4.13.2019 to add Note]

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies