Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I change my filing status from single to married? I also accidentally filed my return as a US citizen/resident while I am an international F1 student. What can I do?

2023 marks my debut in filing US income taxes. I'm eager to maintain accurate records right from the start. I attempted to prepare the 1040NR using Sprintax, but unfortunately, printing the form isn't an option. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JulieS
Expert Alumni

Can I change my filing status from single to married? I also accidentally filed my return as a US citizen/resident while I am an international F1 student. What can I do?

Yes, you should file with the status that matches your marital status.

If you are legally married on December 31, you file as Married Filing Jointly, or Married Filing Separately (unless you qualify for Head of Household).

If you aren't a citizen, or a resident, you can't use TurboTax to file your return. You can use SprintTax to complete your tax return. There are office service stores that can help you print out a copy of your tax return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Unfortunately I filed with TurboTax not knowing it is only for citizens/residents of USA. How do I amend this? I am an NRA filing for the first time and have no clue how to prepare amended return form via software. I would really appreciate if anyone can help and this mistake could be redeemed. Thanks.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You have to manually file an amended tax return Form 1040-X. Enter your name, address and social security number on the first page of the form. Skip the rest of the form until part III where you enter an explanation as to why you are filing the form. Sign the form. Next, prepare your form 1040NR and attach a signed copy of that return to the amended return. Write "Amended" across the top of the form 1040NR. Enclose a copy of the original form 1040 that you filed and write "Original Return" on the top of it.

Mail the returns to the address listed in the instructions to form 1040-X.

Here is a link to form 1040-X:  Form 1040-X

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies