Can I adjust / reduce my stated 2017 state tax return value to reflect a prior year (2013) deficiency adjustment I had to pay this past year?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I adjust / reduce my stated 2017 state tax return value to reflect a prior year (2013) deficiency adjustment I had to pay this past year?

2 Replies

No, the state tax paid to a prior year doesn't change your refund or tax due for this year.  If you itemized in the federal return, it could have been used as a deduction in the federal, but  states don't allow that deduction in the state return.

I did itemize in the federal return. Where in TT would I report it / take the deduction on this year's federal taxes?
Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings