turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

janet-s

I amended 3 years of returns to account for h.s.a. issue. 2 of the 3 amendments were accepted by IRS to apply to 2018 return. How do I do this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I amended 3 years of returns to account for h.s.a. issue. 2 of the 3 amendments were accepted by IRS to apply to 2018 return. How do I do this?

Are you saying that when you did the amended returns, that you got a refund on the 1040X (form for amended return), and the IRS told you to apply the refunds to your 2018 return?

If this is the case, then do a Search for "estimates paid" (lower case without the double quotes) and jump to it.

This will open the Estimates Tax Paid interview.

Scroll down to 2017 Refund Applied to 2018. Click on Start for "2017 refund applied to 2018 federal taxes". Enter the amount on the next screen.

Note: this will not match the IRS' records for 2017, but if the IRS told you to do it, this is one way that you can. Keep all the paperwork (and whatever the IRS told you) safe in your tax file in case someone ever writes to you wondering where this "refund" came from.

***If this is not what you meant, please repost your question with more details***

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Are you saying that when you did the amended returns, that you got a refund on the 1040X (form for amended return), and the IRS told you to apply the refunds to your 2018 return?

If this is the case, then do a Search for "estimates paid" (lower case without the double quotes) and jump to it.

This will open the Estimates Tax Paid interview.

Scroll down to 2017 Refund Applied to 2018. Click on Start for "2017 refund applied to 2018 federal taxes". Enter the amount on the next screen.

Note: this will not match the IRS' records for 2017, but if the IRS told you to do it, this is one way that you can. Keep all the paperwork (and whatever the IRS told you) safe in your tax file in case someone ever writes to you wondering where this "refund" came from.

***If this is not what you meant, please repost your question with more details***

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies