turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sophia

IRS said they sent me a letter for more information I have not received it what do I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

44 Replies

IRS said they sent me a letter for more information I have not received it what do I do?

Ask them to send you another copy of it.
TomD8
Level 15

[deleted]

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

I think OP is saying that they never received the letter.
TomD8
Level 15

Thanks.  Brain cramp.
**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
dhaber1

At the very least, you should be able to call the IRS at 1-800-829-3903 or visit your local office, and they can tell you directly what you need to provide to them. 

That phone number is only for the Federal Payment Levy Program.
dhaber1

No it's not, it's a general number.  I'm retired IRS, I think I should know.

Apparently they changed numbers since you worked there. Per the IRS website, the general number is 800-829-1040.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/uac/telephone-assistance">https://www.irs.gov/uac/telephone-assistance</a>
Bees
Level 7

How did the IRS tell you they sent you a letter.? The IRS does not call and demand information. There are many IRS scams around-be careful in giving out information like social security numbers or bank accounts.
Disclaimer: Not a tax professional. Information gathered from internet links. Anything dated in June 2019 was posted in prior years and is before the 2019 limits and changes.

I have the same problem. I found out because I am subscribed to the US Postal Sevice informed delivery service which emails you an image of envelopes due to arrive in your mailbox. I saw a letter from the IRS was due, but it never came. 

Then I would talk to the post office to find out where that letter went. 

The number to call to verify your identity is in the letter. It’s a separate department from the IRS. The IRS told me that on the phone. In the letter it will ask you to verify a random tax year in the past. I haven’t received my letter either. I would give it a few more weeks. 

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

You can handle the request online at the IRS Identity Verification Service website. Here's an article that will provide more information for you to view. The IRS sent me a letter asking me to verify my Identity Why??

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I called to check the status of my refund with the IRS and stated a letter had been mailed on the 13 March I have yet to receive it. I signed up USPS and I received a email stating that the letter was coming and showed a picture  of the letter from the IRS, so it was sent I just have not received in the mail I wondering if someone stole it. I am praying it comes this is the last thing I  need to worry about with everything else going on. On top of that there is no way to track it.

I tried call IRS back to let them know I haven't received but I think call center is temporarily closed due to the virus 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies