Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amending Previous Tax returns

Question : I am an international student and wrongly filed  my 2021 tax return as Resident using Tax slayer  and got extra federal refund last year. Now I am trying to amend that using Sprintax, and it says I don't need to file any state returns at the end but my 2021 W2 has state taxes I guess. I am struck with this and any help, suggestions are appreciated. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

You may not be required to file a state return if your income was too low. Or you may not have to file an amended state return because nothing has changed.

States generally don’t have different tax treatments for resident and nonresident aliens so probably nothing you did on your amended federal return changed your state return.

Everyone who lives in the state is usually taxed the same. There are no exempt periods,

substantial presence tests, and most states don’t recognize international tax treaties. 

If your income was too low to file a state return, but you had tax withheld, you can file to claim a refund.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the reply @ErnieS0 , So how do I pay back the extra money I got from IRS? should I send a check with the amending documents or can it be paid online?

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Yes. You pay the IRS online at Make a Payment or you can send a check or money order with your amended return.

Paying online is a better, more secure option.

On my 2021 W2, I don't have federal tax withheld but got social security and medical taxes in it. I got my 1040 NR using sprintax and it says I owe money to the IRS. i am kinda confused 

I am trying to amend my previous 2021 tax return, in which I got a federal refund. 

BrittanyS
Expert Alumni

Can you clarify if you are confused on why you owe or the amendment process?

@Insomanic_ad 

I am an international student and wrongly filed my 2021 tax return as a Resident instead of Non-resident using Tax Slayer and got a federal refund last year, which I guess I shouldn't have gotten as on my 2021 W2 there is no federal tax withheld. Now I used Sprintax to amend it and downloaded 1040 NR which it says I owe money to the IRS. So my question is is this right ? or did I mess up in filling my 1040 NR on sprintax? And how should I pay back the federal refund i got? I am in really need of some help as today the last date to file!

I am confused about why I owe and also I am not sure if I am doing everything right or not? any help would be appreciated .

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

I am not at all familiar with Sprintax.  Did you amend your return in Sprintax or just file a 1040NR?  If you did not file an actual amended 1040 then you need to do so.

When you  in Sprintax, is it showing you owe the money back that you got as a refund that you should not have as you had no Federal Tax withheld? If so, that is correct and that is how you pay it back.  You amend your 2021 tax return to reflect an NR return and it show that you owe back the refund you should not have gotten.

Click here for a TurboTax video on amending your tax return.

Click here for how to correct your federal taxes.

Click here for a TurboTax article on filing tax return amendments.

Click here for TurboTax article on amending your tax return.

Click here for additional information on amending your tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies