Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

amending multiple previous year Californa state returns

hello tax friends! i have been living in texas with a california employer and have mistakenly claimed my income was earned in California. OUCH! I have overpaid my CA taxes every year as a result. I am trying to at least get 2020, 2021, and 2022 refunds. 

QUESTIONS

can I still file a 2020 amendment for CA?

can all 3 amended returns (2020, 2021, 2022) go in one envelope? I am shipping from out of the US and it is expensive

In the forms I printed from the turbotax desktop software I only see 540 NR, should I print something from the CA website?

should I include a letter explaining the mistake?

anything else I should know?

thank you soooo much!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
SharonD007
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can file an amended CA return for tax year 2020, but it must be postmarked by April 15, 2024.  You will prepare a corrected Form 540 and Schedule X.  You will enter your explanation for the change in your income on Schedule X. TurboTax will guide through the process. 

CA doesn't have guidelines regarding mailing multiple returns in the same envelope, but the IRS advice is to mail returns in separate envelopes, so I would follow that advice.

Don't forget to sign your returns, attach a copy of your federal return, and include the documentation with your forms.

Refer to the TurboTax articles: How do I amend a California state return in TurboTax Online? and How do I amend my state tax return? for instructions,

You can also review the CA Franchise Tax Board website Amend an income tax return for additional information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you SO much! wow, I have been on hold with californa FTB for 98 minutes and you answered all my questions so quickly!

do you think i can/should find the forms on the CA FTB website or buy the 2020 turbotax software and amend that way?  through the turbotax desktop software, it is only printing the 540 NR.... is that ok? 

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Since you are a nonresident for California, you would be correct in filing your amended returns using the 540NR and including Schedule X, California Explanation of Amended Return Changes for the applicable years.  

As far as which program to use, you can either use the tax forms from the CA FTB website or download the prior year TurboTax software using the instructions in this link. Please note you must amend your returns within three years of your original return or within 2 years after you paid the tax due on your return (whichever is later).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies