By the time you get to the Important: Read and Follow Your California Amend Instructions screen, we’ve already transferred info from your federal 1040X to your California amended return.
Move through the following screens to review your info and make any needed changes.
- On the Confirm Previous Refund or Tax Paid screen, review the amount(s) provided and update if necessary, then Continue
- On the About Your California Amended Return screen, you’ll see the form for your amended return.
- Scroll through and review your info.
- Answer any questions that may still need to be answered
- Select Continue
- On the Let's Make Sure You're Ready to Review screen, choose Yes, I’ve entered everything and let’s review, and Continue
- If you have additional info to enter, choose No, I still have state amend info to enter and move through the screens
- At this point, we'll check your California amended return for any info that needs to be reviewed If we find something, select Fix Return on the Let's make sure everything is accurate screen and update the requested info
- If you then see an option to Run Smart Check, run it again to ensure you didn’t miss any info
- On the Smart Check Results screen, select Continue and select Done With State
- On the Let's comb through your returns one last time with completecheck™ screen, select Check my info
- Once you see the You’re good to go! screen, select Continue, and then Continue again
- On the next screen, you can choose whether you want to e-file or paper file your amended returns, then Continue
- If you choose to e-file your amended returns, continue through the screens to sign and transmit your return to the IRS
- If you choose to file by mail, on the next screen select Print my returns or Save a PDF of my returns to print them later, be sure to sign and mail your amended return(s) to the mailing address included in the filing instructions, which will print out along with your amended return
- The filing instructions will also let you know if you need to attach any other forms to your return
Note: Be sure to save a copy of your amended tax return. You'll transfer your amended info to next year's version of TurboTax.