Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amending Federal Return

Just filed federal 1041 few days ago and realized that I forgot to include a Schedule K-1, is it too early to amend and efile? My return was accepted a few days ago on TurboTax.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Amending Federal Return

Has your return been Accepted?  

You should not amend until the first return has fully processed and you get the first refund or your tax due payment has cleared.  

How to Amend this year

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-federal-tax-return-curr...

Amending Federal Return

How do I know when the original return is processed? I received back the confirmation of return acceptance soon after e filing? And the payment has already cleared my bank, does that mean it is processed? Thanks!

SharonD007
Expert Alumni

Amending Federal Return

You will know it's processed when you receive your refund or your balance due payment hits your account.

Follow this link to learn how to do the amendment.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Amending Federal Return

What happens if I efile amended 1040 X before payment clears, asking for a friend 🙂

Amending Federal Return

Oh I see in your first post you are asking about a 1041 return?  Or did you mean 1040?  

We always say to wait to amend in case the IRS catches it and adjusts your return for you.  

Amending Federal Return

When do you know if they catch it and amend for you?

Amending Federal Return

I meant 1040! Thank you!

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Amending Federal Return

The IRS computer data matches so it should catch the missing K-1 so that you get a letter from them with their adjustment in a few weeks or in the next year. If you will owe, go ahead and make a payment now so there is no penalty and interest piling up. You can make a payment for 2023 by saying it is an extension payment. Otherwise, any payments may go to 2024.

Once you have received your federal refund or paid balance due, you can file an amended return and add the k-1 and a payment. Go ahead and efile the amended if you feel confident there is nothing else on your return to catch or be investigated. 

Side note: Those of us that answer these questions are comfortable with waiting since it is a path of least resistance and wait to see what IRS will do. Sometimes an amended needs to be amended and can snowball. People rush into amended filings before they should way too often.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies