turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amending a 2022 tax return

While doing my 2023 taxes i saw something that made me want to take a second look at my 2023 tax forms.

I installed a new electric heat pump system ($8700) in 2022 and thought I claimed it on my 2022 tax return, but when I reviewed my 2022 tax forms, all I see there is a $2000 amount for which I recieved a $300 credit) that I can't remember why it is there.  I thought I might have misunderstood the instructions last year and thought that I could only enter $2000 (max credit) of the cost when filling out my taxes.

I opened my 2022 tax return and clicked on the *I need to amend button* and got to the *deductions and credits section*.  Once there, I found the *Home Energy Credits* section and clicked on the *Update* button.  After answering all the lead-in questions, I got to the Energy-Efficient Building Property section and saw that the cost that I had entered there was the original $8700. 

I don't understand why I only received a $300 credit for this and not $2000 (the lesser of $2610 (30% * $8700) or $2000).  (When I experimentally entered the $8700 cost in my 2023 return as I was filling it out because I did not remember entering it in my 2022 return, TT said I would get a $2000 credit - which is what prompted me to go back and see what I entered in my 2022 return. 

Am I doing something incorrectly or making incorrect assumptions?

How can I fix this, or do I need to find a professional (TT or otherwise) to help me?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

For tax year 2022 the maximum credit for Energy Efficient Building Property was $300.  The credits changed for tax year 2023

View solution in original post

2 Replies

For tax year 2022 the maximum credit for Energy Efficient Building Property was $300.  The credits changed for tax year 2023

Of course it did.  I am always either a year late or a year early when trying to get energy credits.

A few years ago I tried to get credit for replacing my 20+ year old windows as well as replacing the siding on my home and installing additional insulation behind the siding at the same time, only to find out that the credit was stopped the year before (and then found out that it was restarted the next year}.

I don't know if appliances count for possible energy credits, but when I tried, I found the following:

I replaced my 20 year old dishwasher 3 years ago and found that I couldn't claim that either.

I bet that I won't be able to claim the new refrigerator and washer and dryer I had to purchase last year to replace the old ones that were again around 15-20+ years old on this year's return either for some similar obscure reason.

Que Sera, Sera!

Anyway, thanks for your quick response as it cleared up my confusion.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies