Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amending 2020 return error code 190 in a loop

Hi Turbotax,

I am amending my 2020 return and my sate was Tennessee at that time that does not have state tax, I am unable to proceed with correcting the amendment by using turbotax desktop version. I don't have a Tennessee return to upload but I am continuously getting error 190

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Also missed mentioning , i attempted e-file thro turbo , IRS rejected it for some cosmetic reasons (per Turbo) and the guidance in Turbo was to download desktop version and correct the amendment. Thats where I am stuck as Turbo is asking for a mandatory state return which is not applicable to me!

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

Can you please clarify, was your 2020 tax return submitted and rejected by the IRS or are you trying to make a correction on your 2020 tax return which is a amended return?

The issue could be that you need to print and mail in the tax return as e-file may not be available.

For more information, please see the link below:

Can I e-file 2021, 2020, or earlier tax returns?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Apologies, I wasn't very clear I guess. I e-filed 2020 and 2021  return successfully thro Turbo and also paid tax due/tax refund  at that time. I now realized that I e-filed incorrectly. (I have to say Turbo's questions were not intuitive - I realized this in 2023 - I made big mistakes in child tax credit and Recovery rebate credit).

So I have to amend 2020 and 2021 returns.

1. I was successful in making 2021 amendment, (1040-X) I was also able to e-file it, I could also see that IRS accepted it successfully.

2. Now I am trying to e-file 2020 amendment (1040-X). Turbo did allow me to e-file without a hindrance, so e-file should be available?  The only concern was IRS rejected with some cosmetic errors. So I am trying to correct it and am stuck. Can you please guide me? If I have to paper file, would resend instructions? I will also look at ur link below.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies