turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Returning Member


After I filed my taxes and received my refund amount for both state and federal, I received a W-2 that completely slipped my mind. I just tried to file it but now it is saying I owe a very good amount of money. Is this something that I have to pay back? I am just confused because I have never had to amend my taxes before. 

2 Replies


Yes.  The amended return is only for the difference you get back or owe.  I think the cover sheet shows what the original return WOULD have been if you did it right the first time.


Go by the actual 1040X.  Line 18 should be your original refund amount and line 22 should be your additional refund.  If you paid on your original return it will be on line 16.  If there is an amount owed with the amendment, it will be on line 20.


If you have a tax due, do not send the 1040V.  Just include a check with the 1040X.  Ignore the 1040V.  That is for the original return or what the original return would have been if it didn’t need correcting.  Don’t pay the amount on the 1040V.  Pay the amount on the actual 1040X.



If you e-filed 1040, you can e-File 1040-X.

You definitely want to e-File whenever possible.


Be very sure your 1040-X is correct before you SUBMIT it.

Pay separately on the IRS "Make a Payment" page.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing

Related Content

Manage cookies