turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Returning Member

Amended Taxes Complete but no letter or check

I amended my taxes back on 12/12/23. they were adjusted 5/26/23 (no letter) and completed 6/16/23 (no letter or refund). My question is would I get a letter if they denied my tax amendment? Shouldn't I have gotten some type of letter since this was completed? I checked my account transcript and there is nothing other then a 290 code - Additional Tax Assessed $0.00 on 6/6/23. Not sure what to do at this point.


3 Replies

Amended Taxes Complete but no letter or check

@BrettC345 what was your expectation? a refund? what speficially did you amend? can you explain?  


from what little you explains 'sounds like' whatever the IRS adjusted was a total wash, so if you can explain why you were amending and what you expectation was, maybe this forum can help  Any dollar amounts you feel comfortable with including would be helpful as well.  



Returning Member

Amended Taxes Complete but no letter or check

It's a lot to explain but basically I amended the estimated tax payments on row 12. The IRS never received my Schedule 8958 ( community property state, married separately) when submitting via turbotax online and did not take me and my wifes combined federal withholding into account. The say I owe $15,000 but actually they owe me $3,000. They did my husbands taxes correctly but did not his withholding was much much higher then mine. He got his refund right away but there is still a bunch of withholding from his W2 that has not been used. It's a lot like I've said but the IRS tool says completed but no response. 

Amended Taxes Complete but no letter or check

hard to follow, but have you reviewed BOTH transcripts (since you filed Separately?) 


what is the Balance on EACH transcript.  if those balances are both zero, then no wonder there is no money coming to you. 


if your husband received his refund very quickly that should have zeroed out his balance, so why do you believe some of the w2 withholdings was not used????


if you were changing line 12, did you enclose the supporting documentation as required by the instructions? 




"If you are changing your withholding or excess SS/RRTA, attach to the front of Form 1040-X a copy of all additional or corrected Forms W-2 you received after you filed your original return. Also attach additional or corrected Forms 1099-R that show any federal income tax withheld."



message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies