Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Jnniceab

Amended return

I amended my tax for 2023. I thought my kids mom claimed our 3 as dependents but she never did. So I added them to my amended return.  After filing, the return amount says $0. Is this correct?  On form 1040 line 34, it says $3175. Would that be the amount I’m getting?  Before without the 3 dependents I owe $4000. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Amended return

Don't know if you did the amended return right.    You don't make the changes until you start the amended return.  And you should not amend until the first original return is done processing and you got the first refund or paid a tax due.  

When you first start the Amended return the refunds reset to 0. Then should change as you enter the changes.  The amended return will only be the difference you get back or need to pay. You can confirm this by printing your amendment and looking at the 1040X. Line 18 should be your original refund amount and line 21 should be your additional refund. If you paid on your original return it will be on line 16 (but don't include any penalty on 1040 line 38). If there is an amount owed with the amendment, it will be on line 20.

Ignore the new 1040. That is what your return would have been if you had not needed to amend.

Jnniceab

Amended return

I filed back in February and already made payments on my amount owe.  

all was done through TurboTax so I would “assume” it was done correctly. 

line 18 is $0.

line 20 is blank. 
Line 21 is $7683. 

Amended return

I think that sounds right.  How much is on line 16?  It should be the 4,000 you paid.  Then line 21 should be the same as line 22?  $7,683  is your amended refund.  You get back the 4,000 you paid plus the right refund it should have been.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies