Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CeCe11

Amended return

I electronically submitted my amended return but forgot to upload my daughter’s social security card or birth certificate. Will this affect processing, and how can I get these documents to them? FYI my return is still processing.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Amended return

What were you trying to do?  You do not "upload" a Social Security card or a birth certificate to a tax return-- not for an original nor for an amended return.   Did the IRS request some additional information from you?   Why do you think you need to send your child's SSN card or birth certificate?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
CeCe11

Amended return

I checked my amended return as it’s still processing & logged into my irs account and on my transcript it states they haven’t been able to determine my youngest daughter is mine & there’s a 0 in the section that says how many months child has lived with parent. Idk if it says that because it’s still in processing or what but I haven’t received a letter yet it’s just been more than 21 days since I submitted my amended return 

Amended return

@CeCe11 It is taking the IRS about 20 weeks to process amended returns.   We cannot see any of your information so we do not know what you entered.  If you have a child who was born in 2023 ("my youngest daughter"). You were supposed to say in MY INFO that the child lived with you for the whole year.   You do not send birth certificates or Social Security cards to the IRS.

Do not expect quick results from amending. It can take four to six months or more for the IRS to process an amended return.  

You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
CeCe11

Amended return

She was born in September I did put she lived with me for the entire year though. But there’s no rush I just wanted to understand why when I check my transcripts on the IRS website it seems like it’s been processed but there’s no clear information. 

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Amended return

In addition to the information provided by xmasbaby0 above, please see this link for more details on why it takes longer for the IRS to process an amended return.  If the IRS requires additional information to process your amended return, they will reach out via mail to make any requests.

@CeCe11 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies