turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amended Return

I filed 2023 taxes with an amount due to be paid from my bank account. I then amended my return for a student loan credit and e-filed for the refund associated with the credit. Will the original amount that was due still be withdrawn from my bank on the date specified or do I have to arrange for payment. There was a voucher for payment that was printed by turbo tax so not sure what is happening.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Amended Return

Yes the original tax due should still be paid.  In fact you shouldn't have filed the amended return until the first return was fully processed and the tax due paid.

Then the amended return is only for the difference you get back or owe.  I think the cover sheet shows what the original return WOULD have been if you did it right the first time.

Go by the actual 1040X.  Line 18 should be your original refund amount and line 22 should be your additional refund.  If you paid on your original return it will be on line 16.  If there is an amount owed with the amendment, it will be on line 20.

Do not send the 1040V.   Ignore the 1040V.  That is for the original return or what the original return would have been if it didn’t need correcting.  Don’t pay the amount on the 1040V.  Pay the amount on the actual 1040X line 20 if any.

Amended Return

Thanks for the info VolvoGirl. Is it still required to send in the paper return (1040x) as specified on the instruction sheet?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies