Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

amended return went from refund to owing

I filed my 2023 tax return as married filing separately. I should have filed jointly! I'm now amending to file as married filing jointly. On the original separate returns my spouse and I owed the IRS and received refunds from the state. With the change in filing status, we owe the IRS less so will get a refund on the amended return. However, for the state we need to repay part of the refund we received. This is the problem!

I looked up how to account for adding the second return into the first (to go from filing separately to filing jointly). The Intuit instructions said to go to Forms and input the second spouse payment into the payment worksheet (but didn't say where to include it on the payment worksheet?). The bigger issue is where to include the refund ... without including it, the state wants to give me another refund and that isn't correct. Any suggestions?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmyC
Expert Alumni

On the federal return, 1040X, line 19 shows the original refund, that line should be a combination of your 2 refunds. The program knows the IRS can change values so it let's you enter the correct information in the smart worksheet. Your entry will flow to line 19.

You will enter the total refunds already received in both federal and state amended forms. Some states, do not have that field and they figure it themselves. What state are you amending?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

8 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

On the federal return, 1040X, line 19 shows the original refund, that line should be a combination of your 2 refunds. The program knows the IRS can change values so it let's you enter the correct information in the smart worksheet. Your entry will flow to line 19.

You will enter the total refunds already received in both federal and state amended forms. Some states, do not have that field and they figure it themselves. What state are you amending?

Thank you for your help./ I'm amending a Maryland return.

To clarify, my spouse received a Maryland refund. We need to reflect that on the amended return.  I don't see how to do that?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Example: Wife filed and got $500 refund. You filed and owed $100 and paid it. Then on the line above that I marked, you refund total to enter would be her $500 minus the $100 you already paid for a total of $400 to enter on the line.

If you did not pay the $100, enter the $500 refund.

Switch over to forms mode and look at what I posted above.

Thank you, I understand your example. However, my issue is with Maryland. Example is I owed $1000, wife got $2000 refund. Amended Maryland return, we should have received a total of $500 refund so we owe $500 back ... how do we reflect that $500 that we should not have received?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

You will mark that you received a refund of $1,000 and the form will show that you owe $500.

Thank you, I know this. I am not clear where to mark this in Turbo Tax?

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Make sure you are following these guidelines when amending. By doing so, the original amount will be accounted for properly and your amendment will show what is owed or should be refunded with the amendment.

If you want to make changes or add a document to a tax return that has already been submitted, you should follow these guidelines. 

• You must first wait until the initial return is completely processed. 
  • You will have to use the same TurboTax account that you used for the original tax return. 
  • Once you begin your amendment, you'll see your original return.  
  • The refund calculator will start new at $0 and only reflect the changes in the refund or tax due 
  • Only make changes to the areas of your return that need amending. 
  • You have three years from the date you filed your return or two years after you paid the tax due (whichever is later) to file an amendment 

Select your product below and follow the instructions. 

Amend TurboTax Online 

Amend TurboTax CD/Download 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies