Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amended Return to change marital status

When I went to file my taxes I filed as MFS (stupidly I completely forgot it was relate to last year). Last year we were single, I got married 01/2022. So I amended one week after I filed. The thing is, my husband's return was rejected because  his SS was already on my return. I went to the IRS website and it says that its taking almost 5 months to get the amend processed. My husband already file an extension. 

What happens if the IRS dont amend till october? He still wont be able to file? Will he be penalized? 

Im freaking out! :(

Thanks a lot!!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Your amended return is going to take months, and the system is not going to catch up to the change you made.   Your spouse needs to file by mail since you put his SSN into the system for the year.   He needs to file Single, and print, sign and mail his own return.  Next year you will have the choice to file married filing jointly or married filing separately for tax year 2022 since you got married in 2022.   A joint return is almost always better than filing separately.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thanks a lot!

@Caca21 

Were you able to e-File 1040-X with a filing status change to Single?

No I had to mail it . The IRS don’t let us to efile it. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies