Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amended return - glitch or do I have to mail something?

Hi, and thanks in advance for any help!

Just filed my amended return. At first, TT told me I had to print and mail it, so I printed (only federal printed at that point). Then I kept going and TT said I can e-file both federal and state, so I e-filed and it said I could have the amount owed deducted from my checking account. Also it let me now print BOTH federal and state.

So far so good. Then I keep going and TT says something like 'wait, you're not done - even though you've efiled, you still have to mail this form'. Ok. So I print the form to mail and it is:

(1) A dos and don'ts checklick for the individual / Fiduciary Payment Voucher. The payment voucher has amended return checked and electronically filed checked, along with 09-Individual checked. Says it is for my State (GA) department of revenue. 

(2) Along with this, it prints out form 8453 which says ' file this form only if you are attaching one or more of the following forms or supporting documents', and Form 8949 is checked.

Am I supposed to include Form 8949, which did not print by the way. And it was already included in the electronic submission. And, plot twist, it did not change b/c only Schedule D changed (entered in aggregate so not included on 8949). 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

If you received a message stating that your federal and state amended returns were electronically filed and accepted, then they were successfully submitted.  You can also contact us with the information in this link to confirm the status of your amended returns.  

If you elected to make any payments electronically, then you would not need to mail in the payment voucher.  However, if you did not set up electronic payment for the amount due, you will need to mail the payment with the voucher as instructed.

In regards to Form 8949, if there are no changes to the form as originally filed, you would not need to mail this form in either. 

Please see the following links for more details on tracking your amended returns after they have been filed.

Can I e-file my amended federal return?

Where's my amended return - IRS

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

If you received a message stating that your federal and state amended returns were electronically filed and accepted, then they were successfully submitted.  You can also contact us with the information in this link to confirm the status of your amended returns.  

If you elected to make any payments electronically, then you would not need to mail in the payment voucher.  However, if you did not set up electronic payment for the amount due, you will need to mail the payment with the voucher as instructed.

In regards to Form 8949, if there are no changes to the form as originally filed, you would not need to mail this form in either. 

Please see the following links for more details on tracking your amended returns after they have been filed.

Can I e-file my amended federal return?

Where's my amended return - IRS

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you. Yes, I did receive notifications that returns were accepted and electronic payments made. Appreciate your help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies