Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amended Return Filed For Deceased Person Gets Rejected Because She's ... Well ... Deceased ?!

Hi,

When I filed my deceased mother's return 2 weeks ago, I forgot to check the box "can be claimed as dependent by someone else" so today I amended it, by fixing only that, and using TurboTax interview. The original return and the amended one has $0 tax balance, no due and no refund. TurboTax e-filed it, but it came back with an email that says:

"IND-901 - The Primary SSN in the Return Header has been locked because Social Security Administration records indicate the number belongs to a deceased individual"

I reported her death to the SSA in person June last year, so when I e-filed the first time 2 weeks ago, the IRS already knew she was deceased but that time they accepted the return, so I don't see why they reject the amended one now

The 1040-X shows "Deceased", her name, and the date she passed away on the top-center of the page, just like the original 1040-SR has it

When I go to TurboTax (desktop/CD) it shows it's rejected, and says it's going to review and help me fix it, but it doesn't really do anything. I think it is b/c it doesn't find any errors in the return

Any help, pointers or suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Sincerely,

Nick

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Amended Return Filed For Deceased Person Gets Rejected Because She's ... Well ... Deceased ?!

It can take quite some time for a ssn to get locked by the IRS. I am guessing it was just coincidence that you were able to e-file originally. You will need to paper file the amendment.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the help, @CatinaT1 

I will file her amended taxes by mail , although that rises 3 questions:

1) If the IRS is trying to prevent fraud by blocking e-filing for a deceased person's SSN, how is a paper filing better than the e-filing for them?

2) When I paper-file her return, do I have to include her will (it says I'm executor of her will) or some other document?

3) I'm claiming her as a beneficiary in my tax return, and mine is ready to e-File. The only change to her amended return is that it states that someone can claim her as a dependent. Can I e-file mine without waiting until I file her amended return by mail?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

1- It will be viewed by an actual person, rather than automatically processed. If it is automatically processed a refund could be sent before it is detected as fraud.

2 - No, everything should already be included with the file.

3 - There will be no way for your to efile with her listed as a dependent on your return. It will reject saying a return has already been filing with that ssn as a primary tax payer.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you @CatinaT1 for guiding me thru this one-in-a-lifetime tax situation

As I was reviewing the pdf to print and mail, i noticed the "Paid preparer signature" says "Self-prepared"...

For a deceased person, is it ok to leave it like that?

Also the "Your Signature" box is empty. It has a "Under penalties of perjury" warning... Should I sign it or leave it blank?

Finally, do I have to sign anywhere?

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Nick

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies