turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lmrusch61

Amended 1098 due to tax law change do i have to amend I have already obtained my ref

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Amended 1098 due to tax law change do i have to amend I have already obtained my ref

It depends.  If you itemized, and did not originally claim Mortgage Insurance payments, you may now do so.  If that is the only significant change on your 1098, you are not required to file an amended return, but it would likely be to your advantage to do so.  

However, if any information on the 1098 would result in a lower refund total (in other words, you would have to return money), then this would be required.  

Recommended course:  Go ahead and amend.  It doesn't hurt you if it's to your financial benefit, and if you have to give money back, it's a requirement.  Here is an FAQ with instructions to assist you if you choose to do so:  (click on 2017 link below)  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It depends.  If you itemized, and did not originally claim Mortgage Insurance payments, you may now do so.  If that is the only significant change on your 1098, you are not required to file an amended return, but it would likely be to your advantage to do so.  

However, if any information on the 1098 would result in a lower refund total (in other words, you would have to return money), then this would be required.  

Recommended course:  Go ahead and amend.  It doesn't hurt you if it's to your financial benefit, and if you have to give money back, it's a requirement.  Here is an FAQ with instructions to assist you if you choose to do so:  (click on 2017 link below)  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies