lmrusch61

Amended 1098 due to tax law change do i have to amend I have already obtained my ref

DanielV01

It depends.  If you itemized, and did not originally claim Mortgage Insurance payments, you may now do so.  If that is the only significant change on your 1098, you are not required to file an amended return, but it would likely be to your advantage to do so.  

However, if any information on the 1098 would result in a lower refund total (in other words, you would have to return money), then this would be required.  

Recommended course:  Go ahead and amend.  It doesn't hurt you if it's to your financial benefit, and if you have to give money back, it's a requirement.  Here is an FAQ with instructions to assist you if you choose to do so:  (click on 2017 link below)  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

DanielV01