Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amend Tax return

Hello,

I filed my 2023 tax returns with my son's ITIN included. At the time of filing the taxes, ITIN was expired and so I had to file it by visiting the IRS assistant along with W7. Later I received a notice CP567 from IRS and also return was completed with adjusted Refund.

Now, I need to amend my return including the W7. I am trying to fill the details on TurboTax but it is very confusing. Probably the confusion caused is because of the status on Turbotax for my 2023 taxes. The status on Turbo tax is still showing as Return accepted by the Federal and State which is already completed for me.

Now, can you please suggest how can I fill forms for amendment?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Amend Tax return

Please see this link for guidance on starting your amended return.

How do I amend my federal tax return for this year?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Amend Tax return

Thank you for the response. The problem I have is Turbotax still shows as if IRS refund is not completed. I think If the status on the Turbotax is updated, filing amendment will become easier for me. I am not sure where should I mention the refund received from IRS while claiming the 1040-X.

Thank You

Venkat

Amend Tax return

Were you able to efile the original return?  Sounds like you had to file in person?  What exactly does Turbo Tax show?  You said it says Accepted?  Is that for the original return?  You can only efile an amended return from the same account that has an accepted original return.  

Not sure where you are stuck.  If you can’t efile the amended return you can print and mail it.  Can you even start the amended return?  How to Amend this year

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-federal-tax-return-curr...

Amend Tax return

Yes, I can start the Amend return, but the problem is where should I provide the adjusted refund amount I already received from IRS?

I need to prepare Amend and take it to IRS rep in person to apply for ITIN renewal as per their customer service. I am not worried about the child tax credit that I would receive from IRS through Amend. All I need is to get the ITIN renewed.  

Amend Tax return

The refund you already got goes on line 18.

Line 18 should be your original refund amount and line 22 should be your additional refund.  If you paid on your original return it will be on line 16.  If there is an amount owed with the amendment, it will be on line 20.

Amend Tax return

correct, now the problem is while filing the amendment on the I could fill the same. I received adjusted refund of $4,055.19 from IRS where as Original refund is $4491

You can refer to the amendment I completed. This is clearly incorrect as Turbotax do not have the update that I received the refund. I hope you understand the problem now looking at the line 18.

tax return.png

Amend Tax return

A lot of users have trouble getting 1040-X line 18 updated after an adjustment by the IRS.

If you can't figure it out,

you may have to prepare the 1040-X yourself, you can get a copy in fillable PDF from the IRS.

It would have to be mailed in.

@Venkatbollu 

Amend Tax return

That will be my final step if Turbotax customer service are not looking into this issue. They need to retrieve or provide us an option to update on the status of the return to make it easy for us. 

Amend Tax return

Last I heard,

unfortunately TurboTax Online does not give you the ability to change line 18.

Contact TurboTax support (again) and they should give you the CD/download version, since you already paid TurboTax.

With that you can put the tax return file you e-Filed on your hard drive, and proceed.

@Venkatbollu 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies