fc63124

Amend tax return - forgot that closed on house in Dec 2020

Hi  -  I filed my return, but noticed I did not include the closing on a vacation condo in December 2020.  When I was doing TurboTax, I don't recall it asking me if I bought a second home.  Do I need to amend my 2020 return?  If so where would I enter the closing information.  Thank you advance for your help.

You don't enter a purchase on your tax return.  Did you sell a house?  

Mike9241

yes you need to amend. there was probably no specific question about the sale of a second house but there would have been a question about other income.  there is no specific 2nd home sale worksheet. you would use the 1099-B worksheet - type E if a 1099-S was issued or type F if there wasn't.. enter dates description sales proceeds and cost (including sales expenses). a loss isn't deductible so you would need to limit the cost to the sales proceeds. this assumes that the home was never rented and no depreciation was ever taken on it