Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amend My Return(2-15-24)

I already filed my 2023 return. Several hours later I discovered I forgot to add my social security income. I know I have to wait till 2-15-24 till this function is available. I fixed the omission and now my return is correct and ready to refile. My question is: When I click the tab on the main page to amend and answer the few questions before I get to do the amendment is it ok that I fixed the problem already or should I remove the item I omitted and wait for the wizard to tell me to do so? My reasoning is wouldn't the software need to see the before and then the after returns so they can input the original before I fix it? Or doesn't it matter if I already fixed it? Thanks.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Amend My Return(2-15-24)

OK you figured it out yourself that you need to start with your original return as filed before you click AMEND.

@uffbros 

Amend My Return(2-15-24)

Oh boy.   No....you should not have messed with your return and made changes before the 1040X is available.  When you amend and use a 1040X you have to be able to work from your return exactly as it appeared when you filed it originally.   Can you change it back to the way it was before you messed around with it and added the SS?    If not, you now have a mess to contend with.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Amend My Return(2-15-24)

@uffbros On second thought.......Before you even touch your return......wait until the Form 1040X is available AND wait for your original return has been fully processed.

Then......call in to customer support and let CS walk you through the necessary steps to fix your return and amend it.   

To call TurboTax customer support

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

Customer support is available from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. Pacific time

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Amend My Return(2-15-24)

I have indeed returned it to the original(When I filed it) so I'll just wait till the 15th and click on the amend button and follow what it says to do. It has been accepted for several days now. Thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies