Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rtabbyh
Returning Member

Amend after filing - Added 1099-R 401K to Traditional IRA. Does not give opportunity to show where money went.

I filed my 2023 taxes and realized I had forgotten to add a 1099-R.  It was from my work 401K and moved it to a traditional IRA with Equitable Retirement Services Solutions.
When I do the amend process in 2023 Turbo Tax Deluxe - it let me add the 1099-R form but all questions after that were for transferring to Roth 401K and even about RMDs (which was none) and there was no option for Traditional IRA to show where the moved to (rollover from 401K to Traditional IRA).  I am concerned about not being able to show where the money went.  

1. Is this correct in Turbo Tax that you don't need to show where it went or is there something wrong in Turbo Tax with the amend flow?
2.  Also - the refund shows 0 Fed and 0 State return now where I had 9028 Fed and 410 State return.  Is the 0 and 0 correct on the 1040-X form?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Amend after filing - Added 1099-R 401K to Traditional IRA. Does not give opportunity to show where money went.

1.) Yes you do have to indicate that this was a rollover from the 401-K to a traditional IRA.

1. You will enter you 1099-R for the 401-K withdrawal.
  2. Continue through the interview
  3. It will ask "What did you do with the Money"
  4. Select - "I put it in another IRA account."
  5. This will resolve the taxability of the withdrawal.

2.) When you do an amendment, the tax meter resets to zero.

1. The meter reflects the change from your original return.
  2. It in the original return the rollover was taxed, You should see a refund on the amended return.

Please contact us again with any additional questions or to provide some additional details.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rtabbyh
Returning Member

Appreciate the response and yes, I feel I needed to add the where the money went but Amend Flow and adding another 1099-R is just not asking about Traditional IRA when going through the questions.

This was during the Amend process 2023 Deluxe Turbo Tax. (Not during initial prep)

Question/Answer 1.  During the amend process, when I added the 1099-R from my Empower 401K the first thing it asked was :

Rollover of 401(k) to Roth 401(k) and it showed Empower Trust Company LLC.   

I answered No, This money didn't rollover to a designated Roth 401(k) or 403(b) account.   (It went to Traditional IRA with Equitable but that was not an option)
I hit Continue.
Next was 'Was this Money Rolled Over to a Roth IRA? nd it showed Empower Trust Company LLC. 
I answered No, this money wasn't rolled over to a Roth IRA account. (It went to Traditional IRA with Equitable but that was not an option)
I hit Continue.
It asked if I was employed as Public Safety Officer - No, Continue
It asked if withdrawl was a qualified Disaster  - No Continue
It went to my 1099-R entries and showed all three forms I had (Still no opportunity to say where the money went to Equitable Traditional IRA)
It asked about Retirement Plan Distributed and RMD (which are none at this time) (Still no opportunity to say where the money went to Equitable Traditional IRA)
Then it went back to Your 2023 Income Summary - never asking where the money went (Remember - I selected 'Need to file amend' to my original which was already submitted and accepted.
2023 Deluxe Turbo Tax - amend flow and adding 1099-R never asked about traditional IRA rollover (- ust Roth rollovers??? 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

What code is in box 7? That could be showing the rollover. If all of it was rolled over, you have no change in tax liability. Are you seeing a tax liability? The questions vs the forms. We need your forms to be correct.

rtabbyh
Returning Member

Amy,

Thank you for your response.

Box 7 shows G.  I rolled the entire 401K to two Equitable Retirement Service Solutions Traditional IRAs.

It does not show any tax liability that I can see.  I looked at the Tools - Tax Summary - in my amended return and it still shows the refund of $9028.
2023 Turbo Tax in the amend it showing 0 Fed and 0 State refund when doing the amend.  

Is that normal?  All I did was add another 1099-R form.  

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

That is correct if you just added a 1099-R that was rolled over into another account. Your amounts will stay the same.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies