turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Amend 8606 - filing instructions

I should add that you should mail the 8606 using a tracking service such as certified mail with return receipt to prove it was send and received by the IRS.

This should be done before Oct 15,2021,which is the extended due date for filing the paper work, if *either* an extension was filed OR you filed the original return prior to May 17, 2021.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Good to know -- yes, intend to send via certified mail and yes I fall in the 2nd category since the original filing was done prior to 5-17-2021. I don't suppose base on your experience if you know I will get some sort of confirmation or anything for this "reporting"? Based on my reading, it's the conversion to ROTH (and I did that post creating/contributing to TIRA) that's really the significant event ? 

The IRS does not acknowledge receipt of 8606 forms at all - that is why you need your proof of mailing - and keep it all.    If you use the non-deductible contribution to offset tax in the future,  the IRS can match it with your prior filed 8606's - that is usually 2-3 years after the fact.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies