Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jedenangel
Returning Member

AGI after amended return

Does the AGI change (from 1040X) on your Record of Account transcript after your amended return has been processed by the IRS?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

AGI after amended return

For what?  To efile 2023 you  use the AGI from the Original 2022 return not the amended return.  

jedenangel
Returning Member

AGI after amended return

I just want to know if the AGI will change on my Record of Account transcript after I amend my return or if it will still show my original AGI and just show that the IRS received my amended return. For some reasons I have struggled to get a clear answer on this from multiple forums. Some say they will change the AGI and taxable income on that specific transcript but the line items stay the same, others say none of the numbers will change, only codes will be added to reflect the amended return is received and processed 

jedenangel
Returning Member

AGI after amended return

I read that the "Account" transcript (Record of Account) will record the new AGI and I want to know if thats true. Can anyone confirm that, shed some light, have a before and after transcript to verify this claim. Help/clarification on my question is GREATLY APPRECIATED!

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

AGI after amended return

Why does it matter?

Download a Record of Account Transcript now, if you have not already done so. After your amended return has been processed, download another Record of Account Transcript. Then you can tell us the answer. (Post the answer here in this thread, not a new thread, to complete the discussion and to make sure that anyone participating in this thread or following it will see the answer.)

A Record of Account Transcript is a combination of a Tax Return Transcript and a Tax Account Transcript. The Record of Account Transcript shows AGI in two different places. You have to clarify which one you are looking at.

I don't have a definite answer to your question, but the first AGI, at the top of the Record of Account Transcript, is under the heading "Information From The Return Or As Adjusted." That strongly suggests that it will reflect the adjustment from the amended return. The other AGI is in the Tax Return Transcript section. A Tax Return Transcript always contains the information from the original return. It does not get updated when an amended return is processed.

jedenangel
Returning Member

AGI after amended return

IT MATTERS because I want to know what I should be looking out for...... IRS is notorious for not updating in a timely fashion and so if I am checking for updates I want to know what updates I am checking for and what errors, if any, I should be noticing. The fact the some numbers change and others may or may not MATTER for a lot of reasons and since I have never been through the process of an amendment having an accurate frame of reference would help to navigate this. Even IRS tax reps I have sought guidance from are not always reachable, helpful or on the same page about the information they share with you. 3 diff reps told me 3 diff things so if it were as simple as just waiting to get a transcript and comparing notes I wouldn't be wasting my time on forums continuing to seek the same answers 

jedenangel
Returning Member

AGI after amended return

Even the "As Adjusted" seems obvious but one IRS rep told me thats only referring to adjusted while the original return is being processed and not the amended so I still don't know 

AGI after amended return

Have you also been checking here?    Where's my Amended return?

Where's My Amended Return? | Internal Revenue Service

IRS Amended returns FAQ

Amended return frequently asked questions | Internal Revenue Service

jedenangel
Returning Member

AGI after amended return

Yes I have and no such luck... they were informative links but fell short of answering this specific question for me but thank you

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies