Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

After amending my federal return (1040X), do I still need to file my amended state return if nothing changed?

Hello TurboTax Community,

I have to amend my 2022 federal return (1040X, Form 4562, Form 8582, etc.).  Do I still need to file my amended state return for GA, IL, KY, MO, ND, OH and NJ even though nothing changed?  I assume I definitely need to send in the amendment for NJ since it is my resident state.  I am filing as a non-resident for GA, IL, KY, MO, ND, and OH, mostly due to passive loss from K1 real estate investment.  Can I just send the 1040X for the states that I am not considered as a resident?

Appreciate any guidance you can provide.

Thanks!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

After amending my federal return (1040X), do I still need to file my amended state return if nothing changed?

It would seem unusual that you would amend your federal return, and it didn't effect any state returns.

However, if your sure there is no change to any other return (Including name changes, and non taxable items), you do not have to file any of the states.

If you were to send in your GA amended return with no change you should include the federal return and an explanation of what changed and that it didn't effect GA.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks @JohnB5677!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies